PERFORMANCE/RESTRICTED STOCK AGREEMENT
This Performance/Restricted Stock Agreement (the Agreement) made as of the 22nd day of February 2012 by and between ALLEGHENY TECHNOLOGIES INCORPORATED, a Delaware corporation (the Corporation) and [NAME] (the Employee).
WHEREAS, the Corporation sponsors and maintains the Allegheny Technologies Incorporated Stock 2007 Incentive Plan (the Incentive Plan);
WHEREAS, the Corporation desires to encourage the Employee to remain an employee of the Corporation and, during such employment, to contribute substantially to the financial performance of the Corporation and, to provide that incentive, the Corporation has awarded, subject to the performance and employment restrictions described herein, the Employee an aggregate of [NUMBER OF SHARES] shares of the common stock of the Corporation, $0.10 par value per share (Common Stock);
WHEREAS, half of the Shares Subject to Restrictions are subject to the Corporations attainment of the performance requirements set forth in Paragraph 3(b) (the Performance Criteria); and half of the Shares Subject to Restrictions are subject to the Employees remaining an Employee (except in instances of death, disability or Retirement as described below) during the Restriction Period set forth in Paragraph 3(c), subject to accelerated termination of the Restriction in the event of attainment of the Performance Criteria; and
WHEREAS, the Corporation and the Employee desire to evidence the award of the Shares Subject to Restrictions and the terms and conditions applicable thereto in this Restricted Stock Agreement.
NOW THEREFORE, in consideration of the mutual promises and covenants contained herein and intending to be legally bound, the Corporation and the Employee agree as follows:
1. Grant of Shares Subject to Restrictions. The Corporation hereby grants to the Employee, as of the date first written above, the Shares Subject to Restrictions subject to the restrictions and other terms and conditions set forth herein. Simultaneously with the execution and delivery of this Agreement, the Employee shall deliver to the Corporation a stock power endorsed in blank relating to the Shares Subject to Restrictions (including in such power any increases or adjustments to the Shares Subject to Restrictions). As soon as practicable after the Date of Grant, the Corporation shall direct that the Shares Subject to Restrictions be registered in the name of and issued to the Employee and initially bearing the legend described in Paragraph 6. The Shares Subject to Restrictions and any certificate or certificates representing the Shares Subject to Restrictions shall be held in the custody of the Corporation or its designee until the expiration of the applicable Restrictions. Upon any forfeiture in accordance with Paragraph 4 of the Shares Subject to Restrictions, the forfeited
shares and any certificate or certificates representing the forfeited Shares Subject to Restrictions shall be canceled.
2. Restrictions. Employee shall have all rights and privileges of a stockholder of the Corporation with respect to the Shares Subject to Restrictions, except that the following restrictions shall apply:
(a) None of the Shares Subject to Restrictions may be sold, transferred, assigned, pledged or otherwise encumbered or disposed of during the Restriction Period as defined below, except to the extent of the Corporations earlier attainment of the Performance Criteria, as defined below.
(b) The Shares Subject to Restrictions are subject to forfeiture during the Restriction Period in accordance with Paragraph 4 of this Agreement.
(c) The Shares Subject to Restrictions and any certificate representing the Shares Subject to Restrictions shall be held in custody by the Corporation or its designee until such time as either the Performance Criteria are attained or the Restriction Period shall have been completed.
(d) Dividends paid with respect to the Shares Subject to Restrictions during the Restriction Period shall not be paid to the Employee and, instead, shall be converted into additional shares of Restricted Stock at the price at which shares of common stock of the Corporation are purchased under the Corporations outstanding dividend reinvestment program and on the date such purchases are made and such shares of Restricted Stock shall be additions to the shares subject to the Restrictions hereunder.
3. Term of Restriction.
(a) Subject to the forfeiture provisions of Paragraph 4 of this Agreement, the Restrictions shall lapse (i) with respect to half of the Shares Subject to Restrictions on the earlier of (x) February 23, 2017 if the Employee is an employee of the Corporation on February 23, 2017, unless the Employees cessation of employment was due to the Employees death, disability or Retirement (as defined below), or (y) as soon after the completion of the audit of the Corporation for the 2014 fiscal year as it may be determined that the Performance Criteria have been attained and (ii) with respect to half of the Shares Subject to Restrictions, as soon after the completion of the audit of the Corporation for the 2014 fiscal year as it may be determined that the Performance Criteria have been. With respect to the half of the Shares Subject to Restrictions subject only to the Performance Criteria, if the Corporation does not attain the Performance Criteria on or before the three year measurement period ending December 31, 2014, such half of the Shares Subject to Restrictions shall be forfeited immediately upon the completion of that three-year measurement period.
(b) For purposes of this Agreement, the Performance Criteria shall mean that the net income of the Corporation, measured under GAAP, shall exceed $350 million, in the aggregate, for the 2012, 2013 and 2014 fiscal years of the Corporation. The period for measuring the Performance Criteria shall end as of December 31, 2014 and the Personnel and Compensation Committee shall as promptly as possible following the completion of the audit of the Corporation for the 2014 fiscal year determine whether the Performance Criteria have been met.
(c) The period from the Date of Grant until the lapse of the applicable Restrictions with respect to the Shares Subject to Restrictions is the Restriction Period for purposes of this Agreement.
(d) As soon as administratively practicable following the lapse of the Restrictions without a forfeiture of the applicable Shares Subject to Restrictions, and upon the satisfaction of all other applicable conditions as to such Shares Subject to Restrictions, including, but not limited to, the payment by the Employee of all applicable withholding taxes, if any, the Corporation shall deliver or cause to be delivered to the Employee shares of Common Stock, which may be in the form of a certificate or certificates for such shares, equal in number to the applicable Shares Subject to Restrictions, which shall not be subject to the transfer restrictions set forth above and shall not bear the legend described in Paragraph 6. Without limiting the foregoing, (i) if the Performance Criteria are met, all Shares Subject to Restrictions shall become non-forfeitable and such Shares or the certificate representing such non-forfeitable shares of common stock of the Corporation shall be delivered as described above and (ii) if the Performance Criteria are not met, (x) half of the Shares Subject to Restrictions shall be forfeited immediately after the end of the measurement period for such Performance Criteria and (y) the remaining half of the Shares Subject to Restrictions shall be non-forfeitable, if at all, at the end of the Restriction Period.
4. Forfeiture of Shares Subject to Restrictions. If Employees employment with the Corporation and all of its direct or indirect subsidiaries is terminated by either party for any reason, including, but not limited to, the involuntary termination of the Employees employment with the Corporation for any reason, with or without cause, other than the Employees death, disability or retirement with the consent of the Corporation when the Employee is at least 55 years of age with at least five years of service (Retirement), (i) all rights of the Employee to the Shares Subject to Restrictions which remain subject to the Restrictions shall terminate immediately and be forfeited in their entirety, and (ii) the forfeited Shares Subject to Restrictions and any stock certificate or certificates representing the forfeited Shares Subject to Restrictions shall be canceled. If the Employee dies or becomes disabled during the Restriction Period, the Shares Subject to Restrictions will immediately vest. If the Employee retires with the consent of the Corporation when the Employee is at least 55 years of age with at least five years of service, the Employee (or the Employees beneficiary) shall receive the Shares Subject to Restrictions when, if and to the extent, the Restrictions lapse under Paragraph 3.
5. Change of Control. All Shares Subject to Restrictions shall fully vest in the event of a Change of Control as defined in the Incentive Plan.
6. Legend. During the Restriction Period, the shares of Restricted Stock and any share certificate or certificates evidencing the Shares Subject to Restrictions shall be endorsed with the following legend (in addition to any legend required under applicable securities laws or any agreement by which the Corporation is bound):
THE TRANSFERABILITY OF THE SHARES REPRESENTED BY THIS CERTIFICATE IS SUBJECT TO THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF A RESTRICTED STOCK AGREEMENT ENTERED INTO BY AND BETWEEN ALLEGHENY TECHNOLOGIES INCORPORATED AND THE HOLDER OF THIS CERTIFICATE. A COPY OF SUCH AGREEMENT IS ON FILE AT THE OFFICE OF THE CORPORATION.
7. Withholding. The Corporation or its direct or indirect subsidiary may withhold from the number of Shares Subject to Restrictions or from any cash amount payable hereunder or any other cash payments due to Employee all taxes, including social security taxes, which the Corporation or its direct or indirect subsidiary is required or otherwise authorized to withhold with respect to the Shares Subject to Restrictions.
8. Adjustments to Number of Shares. Any shares issued to Employee with respect to the Shares Subject to Restrictions in the event of any change in the number of outstanding common stock of the Corporation through the declaration of a stock dividend or a stock split or combination of shares or any other similar capitalization change shall be deemed to be Shares Subject to Restrictions subject to all the terms set forth in this Agreement.
9. No Right to Continued Employment; Effect on Benefit Plans. This Agreement shall not confer upon Employee any right with respect to continuance of his or her employment or other relationship, nor shall it interfere in any way with the right of the Corporation or its direct or indirect subsidiary to terminate his or her employment or other relationship at any time. Income realized by Employee pursuant to this Agreement shall not be included in Employees earnings for the purpose of any benefit plan in which Employee may be enrolled or for which Employee may become eligible unless otherwise specifically provided for in such plan.
10. Employee Representations. In connection with the issuance of the Shares Subject to Restrictions, Employee represents the following:
(a) Employee has reviewed with Employees own tax advisors, the federal, state, local and foreign tax consequences of this Agreement and the transactions contemplated hereby. Employee is relying solely on such advisors and not on any statements or representations of the Corporation or any of its agents. Employee understands that
Employee (and not the Corporation) shall be responsible for Employees own tax liability that may arise as a result of this Agreement and the transactions contemplated hereby.
(b) Employee has received, read and understood this Agreement and the Incentive Plan and agrees to abide by and be bound by their respective terms and conditions.
(a) Governing Law. This Agreement shall be governed and construed in accordance with the domestic laws of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania without regard to such Commonwealths principles of conflicts of laws.
(b) Successors and Assigns. The provisions of this Agreement shall inure to the benefit of, and be binding upon, the successors, permitted assigns, heirs, executors and administrators of the parties hereto. Neither this Agreement nor any rights hereunder shall be assignable or otherwise subject to hypothecation without the consent of all parties hereto.
(c) Entire Agreement; Amendment. This Agreement contain the entire understanding between the parties hereto with respect to the subject matter of this Agreement and supersedes all prior and contemporaneous agreements and understandings, inducements or conditions, express or implied, oral or written, with respect to the subject matter of this Agreement. This Agreement may not be amended or modified without the written consent of the Corporation and Employee.
(d) Counterparts. This Agreement may be executed simultaneously in any number of counterparts, each of which when so executed and delivered shall be taken to be an original and all of which together shall constitute one document.
(e) Definitions. Initially capitalized terms not otherwise defined in this Restricted Stock Agreement shall have the meanings ascribed thereto in the Incentive Plan.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the parties have executed this Shares Subject to Restrictions Agreement as of the date first written above.
|ALLEGHENY TECHNOLOGIES INCORPORATED|
|By:||/s/ Elliot S. Davis|
|Name:||Elliot S. Davis|
Senior Vice President, General Counsel,
Chief Compliance Officer
and Corporate Secretary